Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Little Update

My dear readers, I’m just writing a quick update. I’ll probably write one of these every few days if not every day. Today, we only had one thing to do, and that was going to a quick presentation from the academic advisor and make sure that we got into the classes that we had signed up for. I did, but I won’t know until tomorrow when all the classes are. Other than that I went sightseeing with a few of my friends from my international group. We got to see an amazing garden, a burial mound, and part of the roman wall that is still in use around the city.

Though, all this sightseeing meant a lot of walking. So I somehow hurt my hips and I also managed to pull the tendon on my right foot. I’m definitely going to be hurting tonight. On the way to the college for the presentation one of my friends from my international group almost had a close encounter with death…..and a bus. To understand how this happened you have to know about the city streets. The sidewalks are either bigger than ours in America, or they are almost non-existent. Then, the street lanes have yellow or white lines on them for drivers to follow, and the only thing separating that line from the sidewalk is about 3 inches of space.

My friend was moving out of the way so that a rather rude group of people could pass us, so she stepped out into the street; literally an inch away from the curb, mind you. None of our group saw the bus coming until it was passing and my friend quickly jumped back. Later we found out that the bus had actually brushed against her arm. Close call indeed. Other than that today hasn’t been all that exciting.

My family and friends are really going to get a kick out of this one. At about 7:30 pm my time (1:30 pm yours) my friends and I are going to a pub for some food. Yeah, I can already hear the comments now. Oh well, I probably should get everything set up for school tomorrow. Talk to you later!

3 comments:

  1. OH BOY!!!! A PUB!!!! Remember....tiny sips. Have fun!
    Glad you got the classes that you wanted.
    Also, very happy your friend is ok.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOUNDS SCARY!! And enjoy the dark, warm beer! =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrea....
    I so enjoy reading your notes about England. What a great experience for you. Take in all the sights you can, study, and stay safe.
    I would love to see the photos, but for some reason, I am not able to pull those up on line. Perhaps I can view them at a later date. Hugs, Dorothy Long

    ReplyDelete